National Day of Action on the Overdose Crisis
Submitted by Greg on February 16, 2017
Our lives won’t wait.
That’s why on February 21st people who use drugs in seven Canadian cities will participate in demonstrations and marches to change Canadian drug policy for the better.
Join us in Ottawa to call on the federal government to:
- End the War on Drugs. In the short-term, decriminalize possession of all drugs. In the long term full legalization and regulation of drugs.
- Grant immediate exemptions to all supervised injection service (SIS) applicants and/or define them and any future SIS as health services implemented solely by provincial authorities.
- Create a specific harm reduction initiative as part of the new Canadian Drugs and Substances Strategy, to support, expand and adequately fund harm reduction programs and strategies including explicit funding for the development of drug user-based organizations and advocacy groups.
- Remove barriers and increase access to opioid substitution therapy including access to prescription heroin.
- Implement harm reduction in prisons : needle exchange programs, increasing access to opioid substitution therapy and continuation after release